Project Update

May 25, 2009

 After five weeks of thinking, coding, daydreaming, teamviewering and blogging, we have finally finished our project. It’s not perfectly finished since we haven’t started our grueling crucial testing yet, but at least we have reached a point where Joot and I were actually satisfied with it and mind you, we were pretty hard on ourselves.

Read the rest of this entry »

Lately, we’ve been having a little problem with the drag and drop feature of our project. The suggested methods don’t seem to work and the other methods cause our project to hang. We tried doing a brute force kind of solution by applying a mouse over method, it worked but it wasn’t really perfect. Joot found a workaround using another script that we applied to our project. So now, we can get the data associated with the drag and not just when the mouse moves over the element. Read the rest of this entry »

Last Tuesday, Sir Sherwin checked in on our projects. We were working on the tooltips and icons at that time, so what we presented to him still lacked a couple of features. He pointed out some things that needed tweaking and a couple of layout issues concerning usability. Nevertheless, we merited a “Great great” from him. Read the rest of this entry »

CSS + Project Update

May 11, 2009

I finally finished designing the UI of our project with the help of CSS and XUL references. CSS was very frustrating; I often had to try a lot of methods to make a certain “look” work and we had to compromise. I first designed the “look” using photoshop because that was where I was most experienced in then we tried to code it in CSS. CSS restricted us in a lot of ways but at least it helped us have a decent-looking project. Here’s a little screenshot of the login page: Read the rest of this entry »

The great hunt for a mms-enabled cellphone and SIM has ended. After days of trading cellphones with our siblings, countless 211 calls, trying all possible cellphone-SIM card permutations and sending millions of trial-and-error messages from our project, we finally have one cellphone that works. It’s just weird though, we have been trying to use Joot’s phone for days already and it never worked before. Anyway, at least we have a phone to test our MMS module.

Read the rest of this entry »

Project Update

April 30, 2009

We  tried to deploy our project in the right environment but there are still some inconsistencies and problems. We couldn’t find the reason why the deployed project does not work while the same code works when it is a stand-alone program. The biggest problem right now involves the tree that Joot made. The selection in the tree, which works fine in the stand-alone program, does not work in the deployed project. Aside from that, the menu functions seem to overwrite the built-in menu functions. We also have no idea how to make the program login automatically upon startup. Lastly, the great hunt for a MMS capable phone is still ongoing.

Read the rest of this entry »

We finally migrated to an online subversion repository to help us update each others’ code easier. Since we were doing pair programming, having an online subversion repository made us work faster. Honestly, this is my first time to use an online subversion repository. Although we were taught how to use one in our cs192 lab class, we never had the chance to implement it in our cs192 project. Everything became so simple and hassle-free; instead of sending the code through email, downloading, finding the new code snippets and adding it to my copy, the online subversion repository finds the differences and easily updates my copy if Joot committed a change. Also, with the help of Tortoise SVN, everything was as easy as a right click.

Read the rest of this entry »

Menu

April 28, 2009

Yesterday, I programmed the menu part of our project. I was able to append the menu to the existing menus of our platform but I somehow managed to overwrite their methods. I’m still looking for a solution on how to append methods, rather than overwriting them. Also, the menu have not yet been integrated to the main project file because of testing purposes. Read the rest of this entry »

1 down, 4 more to go…

April 23, 2009

After two days of googling, trying, coding, praying for a miracle and blackmailing the gods of programming. We finally managed to solve our little problem with javascript and its cross-site security. Sir Greg helped us a lot and pointed out some very important details that we have overlooked.

Read the rest of this entry »

balsamiq and javascript

April 21, 2009

We started our project last Friday with some requirements engineering. Unlike the document required in CS192, our document wasn’t as detailed but still outlined the tasks, deliverables and wireframes. A new thing that we learned was about a wireframing software introduced to us during our usability training: http://www.balsamiq.com/. Read the rest of this entry »