GOOD NEWS: Well, I have finished my third and hopefully the last case study last Monday and I am left with some error checking. Yey! I guess I understand now better the flow of the codes.

Read the rest of this entry »

Last Tuesday, Sir Jason gave our third case study. We’ll be doing the same application but the only difference is the framework. We’ll be applying the technologies (Struts 2, iBATIS and Spring) that we’ve learned during our one-day seminar. Honestly, at the beginning of the case study, I had a hard time running and debugging the project. The first problem I encountered was that the index page won’t show up. I can’t seem to find the error. And I even wasted half of my day just trying to debug. Our mentors, as well, couldn’t say what went wrong. I think that’s what’s difficult in making web applications. They won’t display the error trace. It would just print errors such as: ‘HTTP 404’ or ‘HTTP 500’ and leave the guessing and the debugging up to the programmer. The good thing however is that I am not the only one encountering the same problem. Hehe. 😀 After hours of looking and finding the error, Ma’am Kristel suggested to check if all the variables have their own setter-getter methods. And so I checked, and checked the entire project, only to find out that I missed one variable. Then, I tried to run the project, and, voila! there were no more errors and it displayed the index page. That simple problem caused a major delay. Tsk! After that big hurdle, everything went smoothly(slight). I learned a bit but I can say that I haven’t actually master the whole concept. Right now, I guess I am half way through our project, but still, I am encountering some problems. I hope to fully understand the concepts and finish the project by Tuesday. Wish me luck! 🙂

In preparation for our next case study, Sir Jason decided to give us a brief, one-day training about the Struts 2 Framework, iBATIS and the Spring Framework since we’ll be using the same framework for the actual project we’d be making SOON. These three are actually used in making web applications and so for our server we are advised to use Apache Tomcat. Ma’am Kristel taught us the concepts and some terms, after which, she let us do some exercises including the never-ending Hello World. We started with Struts 2 and the training went smoothly, the concepts were easy to understand and overall, it’s somewhat simple. After lunch, we were introduced to iBATIS and the Spring Framewrok. I actually had a hard time grasping all the ideas introduced to us. The concepts were confusing at first especially that I have no background in these technologies. But luckily, at the end of the day, I was able to understand the basics, giving me the hope of getting things done once I started doing the case study and the project.

Starting the Week Right!

April 27, 2009

It’s Monday and what’s the best way to start the week right? Yup, you heard it right, we went to the office to finally distribute our workload for the project we need to finish for our training 🙂 aside from this, we also clarified some things about the project so that we would be able to start it without any difficulty.

Read the rest of this entry »

One Slice at a Time

April 25, 2009

Now that the database design for our Project and Task Manager is more or less ready (there may still be minor changes along the way), it’s time to start working on the actual implementation. However, we still need to study the ins and outs of CakePHP (the framework we’re using) before we could do some real coding.

Read the rest of this entry »

Of MVC and JDBC

April 25, 2009

For our second week, we were given case study 2 to accomplish. As I’ve said, it was just a continuation of our first case study just a bit difficult- no, really difficult. We are to make an application out of the database we created and transform it into a mini application using Java. However, the catch is to use JDBC for the database connection and to apply the MVC framework. The even challenging part is that we’re doing these case studies individually. From the specifications itself, I knew that I’d be going through some tough week.

Read the rest of this entry »

News Flash!

April 24, 2009

This week was all about finalizing our database design for our group project. But first, let me give a brief account about the details of the said project.

Read the rest of this entry »

First Day of Training

April 22, 2009

One thing I like about being an intern in Softw@re Edge (SEDGE) is that we are not required to be in the office 8 hours a day as long as we are able to deliver the output on time. That means we can work at home and even attend summer classes if we feel that this won’t hinder us from doing our work. But of course, we still have to go to the office once in awhile to report and update about the project that they would give us.

Read the rest of this entry »

Getting to Know Globe

April 21, 2009

Joot, Liv, Anna Mae, Aljon, and I are currently interning for Globe Telecom under the Globe Labs division, and its Summer of Code 2009 program (Named after the Google Summer of Code). Globe Labs is the innovation-driven group of Globe which aims to build and launch relevant applications. Along with eleven other students, we are divided into pairs and given one major project which we have to accomplish and present by the end of the program.

Read the rest of this entry »

Starting @ SEDGE

April 19, 2009

Our internship at Softw@re Edge (SEDGE ) began last Monday. During our orientation weeks before, we were introduced to the technologies that the company uses, particularly PHP and MySQL for web-based development. And on our first day, we were given a training outline to help us learn these two technologies better. Weee~

Read the rest of this entry »